A different gathering

Last evening I was at the Hotel Hyatt for the American Independence Day celebrations. Ms Beth Payne, American Consul General in Kolkata, was there at the function (picture: Beth Payne). I know her personally and we have attended many social programmes together.
Besides own her profession, Ms Payne is involved in various social activities. She is a very warm and kind-hearted person, a good photographer and one of the finest diplomats Kolkata has had.
As expected, after crossing tight security protocols at the Hyatt Ball Room and greeting Beth, I realized that the crowd was a little different from the usual crowd that one gets to see at the Consul parties. Apart from the regular Page 3 people and diplomats, it was good to see IPS officers, politicians, artists and even educationists in the gathering (picture: Devi Kar and Sujata Sen).
Saugata Roy discussed with me about the book Kaifi and I that I had sent him recently. Devi Kar, Prinicipal of Modern High School inquired about Asian women writing books. 
British Council director Sujata Sen asked me about any new programs that I was doing. I told her about today’s programme Karuna. She was thrilled and said she too was an animal lover.
She wanted to join the next programme of Karuna.
At the reception I met Jogen Chowdhury and invited him for today’s function as well. It was good to be in a reception where the crowd was more cerebral.
Today evening was there at the pamphlet distribution programme at the South City Mall
 under project Karuna (picture: pamphlet distributionwhich is the a project of the Debasree Roy Foundation supported by Prabha Khaitan Foundation and aimed at caring for animals and creating awareness. Sabyasachi Chakraborty was there along with Jogen da. For about an hour both of them distributed awareness pamphlets with Debasree Roy and I.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts