Whizzy weekend

I had a busy weekend with the Kolkata social circuit abuzz with various events and functions. On Friday I was at Nandan. After attending an art exhibition, I went to the premier of Gautam Ghose's latest movie Moner Manush.
Though I had seen the movie a couple of months back, thanks to Prasenjit, I made it a point to be present at the premier because the three most important persons linked with this award-winning film, namely the director Gautam Ghose, lead performer Prasenjit and novelist Sunil Gangopadhyay, are personally known to me.
May I add that when I first saw the film, I was mesmerised by the pictuarisation of some wonderful natural scenes in the film. Moner Manush won the Golden Peacock at the IFFI in Goa last week and I congratulated Gautam Ghose for his masterly work. I also congratulated Prasenjit for lending life to the main character of Lalan Fakir in the film.
From Nandan, after meeting Sunil da, I rushed to The Park hotel to attend the birthday-celebration-cum-reception of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand hosted by Mr Prasittidesh Vichitsorasatra (picture) and Mrs Naree Vichitsorasatra - the Consul General of Thailand in Kolkata. There was the usual gathering as in any diplomatic reception in Kolkata. However, I met a charming lady by the name of Stafinie Landerberger (picture) for the first time. After taking for a while I learnt that it was her second day in Kolkata and she was in the city as a member of a German delegation visiting the German Consulate.
I discussed with her about my late friend Gunter Wehrman, the former Consul General of Kolkata, who passed away a few months back. I wanted to spend some more time with this group but since I had few guests at home for dinner I had to excuse myself.
Saturday evening there was an Anandaloke function at the Science City that was attended by Abhishek and Aishwarya. I have been attending this function regularly in the past. I saw Abhishek in the morning at the ITC Sonar Bangla. He had come to check out the gym.
I missed the Anandaloke event and spent the whole evening at the residence of Harsh and Madhu Neotia. It was an invitation from Suresh Neotia to celebrate the 25th marriage anniversary of Harsh and Madhu. People from all walks of life were there - industrialists, celebrities, artists, performing artistes etc. As expected, the Silver Jubilee Anniversary function was a very special one compared to the usual receptions or dinner parties that we attend.
Besides live performance, music and dinner, there was a speech by Harsh. Also, a short film in which he had lent his voice was screened. There was a touch of class and variety of style everywhere. Harsh is undoubtedly one person in my social circle for whom I have tremendous respect and someone I always look up to.
I met many of the city's eminent persons who had turned up to congratulate Harsh and Madhu.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts