Halim calls it a day

I went to the state Assembly. It was the last day in office for Speaker Hashim Abdul Halim. Technically he'll remain the Speaker till Monday May 30th 2011 when a new Speaker would be elected. He, however, chose Saturday to be his last day in office.
Over the last 15 years (picture of 1999-2000) I do not remember a single week when I was in town and had not met him in person at the Assembly. Sitting in his room I have learnt so much about International Affairs, Diplomacy, the Parliamentary System and what not.
From the then Presidential candidate Pratibha Patil to Speakers of the different state assemblies to Lord Swaraj Paul, numerous foreign delegations and countless important dignitaries have all interacted with him in his room in the state Assembly.
Mr Halim is one of the most respected members at home and abroad. He happened to be the only Speaker from the state who has been elected the Chairman and Parliamentary Association apart from the Presidentship of World Federation of United Nations Association (WFUNA). He has served in many international organisations and has left him impact there.
I personally learnt a lot about International Affairs from him. Indian political system needs people like Halim who do politics guided by ethics and principles that strengthen the spirit of our Parliamentary democracy. I think after his retirement from the Assembly, I won't be that regular a visitor I used to be.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts