The Ritz rendezvous


September 26, 2012: The day I arrived in London the weather was excellent but it began to rain since the last couple of days. I had a series of meetings on September 24 and 25 and I thought the best place to have meetings was at the Rivoli Bar lounge of The Ritz.
The Ritz has always been famous for its `Afternoon Tea' ever since it started operations. The Rivoli Bar lounge is located before the entrance to the Afternoon Tea area and I like this lounge because it, unlike the Afternoon Tea area, allows you can sit there without the formality of having to wear a tie and a jacket.
While coming out saw Ian Gomes, The Ritz's resident pianist. He is the son of a celebrated concert violinist and Ian developed a love for the piano as a child and began his career as a classical pianist before graduating to popular music.
Extending his talent across the musical spectrum, Ian formed a successful rock band called ‘The Kings’ and worked with such musical luminaries as Frank Sinatra before taking up his position as resident pianist, first at The Savoy and since 1995 onwards at The Ritz.
Ian is the master of the international language of the piano. He is renowned for playing frequently requested songs and melodies from every country across the globe. He can be heard playing during Afternoon Tea at The Palm Court and during dinner at The Ritz Restaurant. He is noted for his popular renditions of Puttin' on The Ritz and A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square which have become traditional favourites.
Yesterday I went to the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) office at Millbank and had a meeting on Youth Parliament scheduled from 8 to 10 December 2012.
After the CPA meeting I went to the Asia House and had tea with Lord Meghnad Desai and his wife Kishwar Desai. Kishwar, in fact, had her book event at the Asia House after my meeting with her but I had to skip that event as I had other commitments.
On Sunday evening I went to Tamarind a fine dining Indian restaurant. I wasn't at all impressed with the food. Today night I am flying back to India.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts