Chilliest winter

With Ustad Ghulam Ali and Koel Mullick
December 28, 2012: Kolkata is in the throes of one of the chilliest winters. Yesterday night as well as today early morning I was in Salt Lake for a family function and got a real feel of the cold wave.
After the function yesterday night, I went to Dakshin Kalikata Sansad which is celebrating a week-long cultural extravaganza for the New Year.
Ustad Ghulam Ali had a live performance and I did not want to miss it. 
Thanks to the Club authorities and the Cultural Secretary of the Club, Mr Gautam Bhattacharya, who had requested me to present an uttoriya (a traditional way of welcoming guests in Bengal) to Ustad Ghulam Ali (picture) on stage with Koel Mallick .
I also met Debasree Roy, Jaya Seal Ghosh, Ranjit and Deepa Mallick and others. 
 I had tea with Ustad Ghulam Ali in the green room before the start of the function. I think it’s a good start after the Pakistan cricket team visited India.
Honestly, Ustad Ghulam Ali had a cold and this affected his voice. At first I thought there was a problem with the microphone but soon other guests too also realized it.The ghazal’s living legend has performed only once in this season in the city.
May be, due to age or the cold the live performance of Ustad ji was not what connoisseurs of music would vouch for but being at a live performance itself was a matter of great satisfaction. 
Today evening I am hosting a dinner at my residence for a small group of friends, some of whom are from Chennai and London.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts