At the Royal Calcutta Turf Club

With Locket Chatterjee, Victor Bannerjee and Maya
I missed out the cocktails & dinner evening on Friday at the member's enclosure in the lawns of the Royal Calcutta Turf Club (RCTC) on the eve of the 63rd Queen Elizabeth II Cup.
Queen Elizabeth II Cup has a history that can be traced to the origin of Derby in India. Calcutta, as it was known then, was the first centre in the Indian sub-continent to stage a Derby race called Calcutta Derby Stakes in 1842 with a faboulous prize money of Rs 5000 for the winner. In 1856 it was discontinued and its place was taken by the Viceroy's Cup and was later called Queen Elizabeth II Cup.
The dinner was hosted by British Deputy High Commissioner, Mr Scott Fursedonn Woods, and The Stewards, RCTC. I could not attend as I was busy giving few interviews to journalists.
With UK Minister Gregory Barker and Scott Fursedonn Wood
On Saturday I went to the Race Course for the 63rd Queen Elizabeth II Cup. I invited the French Consul General Fabrice Etienne, Victor Bannerjee and his wife Maya, Ananya Chatterjee and Locket Chatterjee to come along with me to watch the races from my box. The box on the mezzanine floor of the Turf Club is comfortable and has great view.
I was surprised that the standard of the food served for the guests of the boxes was much better than expected.
It was fun to watch the races in the company of Victor who is much informed. He won in all the races and so did our group members by following him. But I never gamble and kept myself out of it.
At the RCTC with Scott and 
Yesterday night I attended two social functions and by the time I reached home was past midnight. I skipped Dadul's party as it was very late by the time my social engagements ended and perhaps everyone had called it a day. But today morning Tony, Raima and others who were there told me that the party was on till 3 am and I felt a sense of regret as I could have dropped in on my way back home.
Tomorrow is another series of Author's Afternooon with Bittu Sahgal which I shall attend. Today evening there is a dinner at the Tolly Club hosted by Anik and Sondhy Dutta to celebrate their 25th Anniversary.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts