Hashim Abdul Halim – may his soul rest in peace

With Hashim Abdul Halim
November 5, 2015: I was scheduled to leave for Delhi on Monday (Nov 2) for an evening to attend the UN reception to commemorate United Nations Day at the UN Lawns, New Delhi, at 6:30 pm. The UN Day is hosted by the United Nations in India.
However, in the morning about 10:15 am I received a text about the demise of Mr Hashim Abdul Halim the former speaker of the West Bengal Assembly who had also served as the Chairman of the Commonwealth Parlimentary Association.
My relation with him goes back to my childhood. A family friend who was a father figure to me. He introduced me not only to WFUNA but also to the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association and many other international bodies.
Handing over a small bust of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore to Mr Halim
It was because of him that I had easy access to the Assembly. This helped me to gain knowledge of the democratic as well as parliamentary system.
Mr Halim was a disciplinarian with many sterling qualities and a repository of information and knowledge. I really learnt a lot from him. I pray his soul rests in peace.
His passing away is a personal loss to me. On November 3 I went to the Muslim burial ground to attend his last rites.
Yesterday and today again I will stay put in my office with piles of work. I had thought of making a trip to Jaipur this week but things do not always turn out to be as one desires.
I shall leave for my overseas trip on Saturday. I have a minute-to-minute itinerary worked out for the weeks ahead and am bracing up for an extremely hectic schedule.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts