Peer Ghani, Write Circle and Rajasthan Diwas


With K K Raina and Ila Arun
A
pril 3, 2016: I am in Pink City and the summer heat here is beginning to hurt. I landed on March 30 late night – the day the State of Rajasthan was born and celebrated as Rajasthan Diwas.
On Thursday, March 31, I attended the Write Circle with Mahesh Dattani as the guest author at the ITC Rajputana. The Write Circle event was preceded by a press conference organized by Rajasthan Forum for the upcoming play Peer Ghani. I skipped the press conference but attended Write Circle.
With Mahesh Dattani at the Write Circle
The Peer Ghani play is based on Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen's long dramatic poem "Peer Gynt". This play has been adapted by Ila Arun and directed by K K Raina. Peer Ghani has a cast of 30 members and grand sets.
On April 1 evening I hosted a dinner for the cast and crew of Peer Ghani which included Ila Arun, K K Raina, Rahul Bagga and others. I arranged for Rajasthani cuisine as suggested by Ila Arun. She wanted her cast and crew to have a taste of Rajasthani food.
At the Maharana Pratap Auditorium
On the evening of April 2, the play was held at the Maharana Pratap Auditorium of Vidyashram School. I am thankful to Rajeyswari Kmari Ji daughter of Late Rani Laxmi Bai Chundawat, who first introduced me to Ila Arun and this play. I later decided to get it organized to mark Rajasthan Diwas in Jaipur.
I have always noticed the indifference of the Rajasthan government towards the artistes of the state. This is amply reflected in the government's official gala celebrations of Rajasthan Diwas where not a single big performer from Rajasthan has ever got on to the stage.
The play Peer Ghani was very well appreciated and Rahul Bagga’s acting as the young Peer was fantastic.
Today evening I shall fly out to Delhi.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts