Missing out on Bangla Sammelan 2016 in NYC

With Suman, Kaushik and Abir in New York
July 2, 2016: I shall leave New York today. The area near Grand Central station and the United Nations faces a heavy commuters' rush during the weekdays. However, with offices closed, there is a sea change during the weekends when it wears a rather deserted look in contrast.
There is a large number of representatives from the Kolkata film fraternity in New York for the Bangla Sammelan or the North American Bengali Conference (NABC) this year. It is an annual conference to showcase Bengali art and culture outside India. Since its inception in 1981 in New York City, under the sponsorship of Cultural Association of Bengal, it has spread to other cities in USA and Canada. The Sammelan provides a global platform to artistes and entertainers to a global mostly Indian diaspora. 
I was invited to present a paper at the Sammelan. But, although I was in New York, I had to decline it due to my pressing schedule and other commitments in New York. I could not find time to visit it either.
I did meet Suman Ghosh, Kaushik Sen and Abir for lunch yesterday at the Indian restaurant Dhaba.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts