Ek Mulakat with Shantanu


With Shantanu Moitra and Manesha Agarwal
October 21, Jaipur: The past three days in Jaipur kept me very busy as there were so many Diwali get-togethers and parties were lined up in the evenings. On October 19, I went to Hotel Mariott, Jaipur, to attend the Fitness & Positive Health Programme of Lifestyle Diseases on the invitation of Dr Sudhir Bhandari.
I reached late for the event but was there during the high tea and was not able to meet Padma Shri Mr Milkha Singh ji, who, I heard, gave an excellent talk. After this event I went to four different private Diwali dinners.
With Shantanu at the Step By Step School
On Monday, I had lunch at a friend’s residence with Shantanu Moitra, the famous music composer and a man of many talents, who was in town on my invitation. After that, I attended the Step by Step School’s annual function with him.
Shantanu and myself, together unveiled the new name of the school which would be known as the Jayshree Periwal High School from next year.
Today morning there was another series of Ek Mulakat at the ITC Rajputana organized by Prabha Khaitan Foundation. The guest speaker was Shantanu Moitra. A natural conversationist, he spoke from his heart and all the guests were mesmerized by Shantanu’s multi-talented personality and other talents and interests which is a sort of revelation.
Shantanu, is not only a great music composer but also an avid trekker and has also written a book on his travels. He is also engaged in a project to make Indian folk music a “protected art form” for which he is creating an archive. Rajasthani folk singer Manesha Agarwal was in conversation with Shantanu.
He also shared his amazing anecdote of how he met folk singer Rumpa Bai in one of the roadside tents in Jaisalmer. He wanted her to record a song but she refused and challenged Shantanu to stay in her tent for two days. Shantanu took up the challenge and Rumpa Bai did the recording for Man Manjira. Shantanu did not reveal much about his music in the forthcoming Rajkumar Hirani-directed Bollywood blockbuster PK, he only hinted that there would be elements of Rajasthani folk music. Shantanu has also written a book on travels.
In the evening I took Shantanu to one of my favourite places in the Pink City Tapri’s opposite Central Park. Tapri is a place I don’t mind sitting every evening especially in the winter and I wish I had more time to do so.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts