Meeting Belinda and the CM of Meghalaya

From L to R: Prof P C Sinha (MLA and West Bengal UNA), Mr Mahajan (Himachal UNA), Dr Mukul Sangma, the Hon'ble Chief Minister of Meghalaya and Chairman of IFUNA, Mr P M Parvatiyar (Bihar UNA) and Mr Bharat Babbar (Haryana UNA)
July 17, 2013: Yesterday afternoon I arrived in Kolkata from Delhi. While in Delhi, I met Belinda Wright at her residence in Sultanpur area on the outskirts of Delhi to work out a programme in Kolkata early next month.
I share many common interests with Belinda who is a tiger conservationist, wildlife photographer-cum-film maker and campaigner. She is the Founder and Executive Director of the Wildlife Protection Society of India (WPSI) and travels across the length and breadth of India assisting and supporting conservation efforts and enforcement of law.
Monday evening I went to the IFUNA Office to attend the Emergent Executive Committee (ExCo) meeting (picture). 
The newly appointed / nominated Chairman of IFUNA, Dr Mukul Sangma, Chief Minister of Meghalaya, formally took over as the Chairman of the organisation and chaired the first meeting of IFUNA. In fact, it was my first meeting with him and I found him very knowledgeable regarding United Nations Associations (UNA) and its work.
He has been very kind and supportive of the UNA organisations in north eastern India. I observed him while he formally conducted the meeting and also when he was having a dinner with me informally after the meeting. Both the times, I quite liked him. The country definitely needs young and knowledgeable politicians like him.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts