ELT centre in Kolkata

Today evening I went to the British Council for the inauguration of the English Language Teaching centre. His Excellency, Governor of West Bengal, Shri M K Narayanan formally launched the centre.
I met Ms Ruth Gee, the regional director, India and Srilanka, British Council division, and Sujata Sen, the director of British Council in Kolkata. I think this English Learning Centre will be good for the city as the Governor very aptly said in his speech that it would teach English-English not the American English.
After the British Council program, I went to the Bengal Chamber of Commerce & Industry to attend another function. This was a very different kind of function as far as any Chamber of Commerce is concerned. It was an adda session with the heroines of yester years who were cast by Satyajit Ray in his films. The programme was moderated by Barun Chanda.
Among the heroines on the dais were Aparna Sen, Alokananda Roy, Madhabi Mukherjee, Uma Dasgupta and Paramita.  They all shared their experiences with Manik da. It was indeed a very different kind of function and I really enjoyed it with Kalyan Ray (picture).
I seldom attend any Chamber of Commerce functions. But this time, I thankfully did or else I would have missed something that was worth attending. Thanks to Khokan Mookerji (picture), the chief mentor of the Bengal Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
ess bee

Comments

Popular Posts